Tuesday 27 March 2018

TU(N)ESDAY: TOTALLY TARANTINO PLAYLIST: 8 SONGS FEAT. IN QUENTIN TARANTINO MOVIES




You know what I love almost as much as I love music? Movies. Movies driven by music? Now we're really talking! This week I'm practicing for an upcoming Electric Pollen gig, which usually means a lot of time spent with Tarantino soundtracks, as we play a fair few songs featured in his movies! So I figured that was the perfect theme for this weeks 'music in movies' playlist... Totally Tarantino!

Tarantino's use of the relationship between music and cinema really draws you in; setting the tone, driving the story, and your emotions, throughout. His enthusiasm for music in his movies explodes off the screen, ensuring him a firm place on many a 'favourite directors' list, including mine! 🎥

But you don't have to listen to me...here's an excerpt from an interview with The Guardian, where Quentin Tarantino answers questions about his use of music in his movies...
"Question eight: The music in your movies really adds so much to them. Two questions. Do you write with the music in mind, or does that come later? How do you pick the music?
QT: A good majority of the cues in here, I had in mind in the writing stage... A good majority of them I come up with beforehand. More or less the way my method works is you have got to find the opening credit sequence first. That starts it off from me. I find the personality of the piece through the music that is going to be in it. If there is going to be no modern music in the movie, then that becomes the personality of the piece, but if there is, it is the rhythm that I want the movie to play at; it is the rhythm of the film. Once I know I want to do something, then it is a simple matter of me diving into my record collection and finding the songs that give me the rhythm of my movie. "I find the personality of the piece through the music that is going to be in it."

Source: The Guardian

I don't think I could pick a favourite Tarantino movie... however the Pulp Fiction soundtrack will forever be one of my most treasured CDs, and Nancy Sinatra's Bang Bang, My Baby Shot Me Down continues to be one of my favourite songs to perform. Tarantino's placement of it in Kill Bill was perfect 🖤 What's your favourite Tarantino movie?

I hope you like this Totally Tarantino playlist!


1. Dick Dale - Misirlou (Pulp Fiction)
2. Nick Perito - The Green Leaves of Summer (Inglorious Basterds)
3. Santa Esmeralda - Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood (Kill Bill Vol.1) 
4. The White Stripes - Apple Blossom ( The Hateful Eight) 
5. The Coasters - Down in Mexico ( Deathproof) 
6. George Baker Selection - Little Green Bag (Reservoir Dogs)
7. Hans Zimmer - You're So Cool ( True Romance) 
8. Nancy Sinatra - Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down) (Kill Bill)

As always let me know if you enjoyed this weeks tunes! I've been working on a series of playlists devoted to movies, so expect more movie content soon, as well as my next makeup tutorial on fixing broken powders (coming later this week)!

Anddd... If you're local and looking for something to do this Easter Sunday, check out the Nantwich Jazz and Blues Festival! Electric Pollen, (myself and Tom Callinswood), will be there playing blues, rock 'n roll and psychedelia, including a healthy dose of songs featured in Tarantino movies! Details here. Come get some pollination! ⚡️🐝 Tom will also be performing later in the day with Arcadia Roots, who you definitely should check out if you're in the area!

Love, love, love!

No comments:

Post a Comment